Monday 15 September 2008

Biodiversity taken seriously

At the beginning of my stay in Tanguiéta:

We are not living alone. There are always some “friends” with two or more legs… When I arrived in my new flat I had to clean it up. Fortunately there was a group of some 10 children who came over to help – for them it was fun to put the whole flat under water and brush everything. They found a turtle - my first friend with more the two legs - in a corner of the house. During cleaning we met quite a lot of cockroaches and spiders. Some of them we killed, others committed suicide by throwing themselves from the walls – when they fall on their back they become pray of the ants who clean everything what might be eatable. The first night a cricket found it funny to sing his ear-splitting song right beside my bed – I put her out in the court… Then came the time of the mosquitoes who liked to pass for diner – white men’s blood must be for African mosquitoes something like French kitchen in Europe. Later on, I found praying mantis, flies, frogs that greeted me in the morning from inside my backpack, mice, cats, a very small, very sweet baby chameleon and other friends in my house.
I am happy that the lions, elephants and buffalos of the park stay way they are… till now I haven’t had the opportunity to watch them but this will come one day as well…

3 comments:

vanessa said...

fuera de los mosquitos, me gustaria estar en medio de tanta biodiversidad... sobre todo con las tortugas y los ratones.
espero que los leones no encuentren tu carne tan sabrosa como los mosquitos tu sangre!
no tienes una camara? seria super si pusieras foticos!
besos

Viajante said...

me gustaria mucho presentarles algunos fotos... pero como soy muy traditionalista tengo todavía mi camera con película... voy a enviar algo prontito...

Anonymous said...

lions, elephants and buffalos...die wären mir lieber als deine derzeitigen Mitbewohner...im Postkasten gibts eine Nachricht für dich. bisou. sarah